Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is actively seeking highly qualified Remote Sensing Scientists and Engineers to join our team developing advanced computer vision and machine learning capabilities. You will join a diverse multi-disciplined collaborative team of engineers and developers to build novel solutions for the US defense and Intelligence communities. We want you to apply if you have experience with remote sensing technology, image analysis and exploitation and have a passion developing algorithms to solve difficult intelligence problems.
If you want to accelerate your career growth and are passionate about applying your expertise to solve problems of national importance, then we have the job you are looking for! You will be able to achieve your personal and professional goals in a stable environment that emphasizes and rewards the entrepreneurial spirit.
VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: As of October 1, 2021, Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA), in compliance with the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated and show proof of vaccination at time of hire. If you cannot receive the COVID-19 vaccine due to a disability/medical reason or sincerely held religious belief, you will be asked to follow our process to request an accommodation.
Remoting Sensing Research Scientist Responsibilities:
The ideal candidate will have an active interest in applying math/statistics/physics/engineering concepts to solve multi-disciplinary problems. The candidate should be familiar with improving/optimizing/tuning existing algorithms as well as development of new algorithms from scratch. This will include research, software design, development, debugging, and issue resolution. The candidate should demonstrate a hands-on approach to problem-solving and must be willing to actively participate in the evaluation of algorithm and system performance. Other responsibilities include assisting in the preparation of oral and written reports, delivering customer briefings, and supporting R&D business acquisitions.
Scientists/engineers who are passionate about applying their expertise to solve problems of national importance, who have a strong entrepreneurial spirit, and who are seeking opportunities for personal and professional growth in a stable environment are strongly encouraged to apply.
Required Remoting Sensing Research Scientist Qualifications:
- The nature of work (i.e. interactions with the intelligence community and DoD programs) requires the eligibility to apply for and hold a US security clearance; selected applicants will undergo a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements at the time of employment
- B.S. in Mathematics / Physics / Engineering / Computer Science / Electrical Engineering or a related quantitative field with along with 5-7 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with developing algorithms to exploit high-resolution imagery (e.g., WorldView, GeoEye, Planet Labs) and medium resolution imagery (e.g., LandSat-8, Sentinel-2)
- Experience prototyping algorithms in Python using libraries such as Numpy, TensorFlow, OpenCV, Pandas, scikit-image
- Drive to address complex problems with technical solutions that work
- Desire to work in a highly collaborative, innovative, small R&D team
- Strong initiative, self-starter, quick learner, proactive contributor
- Excellent presentation and written/oral communication skills
Additional Remoting Sensing Research Scientist Desirable Qualifications:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Mathematics / Physics / Engineering / Computer Science / Electrical Engineering / Image Science or a related quantitative field
- Experience with algorithm development for satellite data
- Experience with Computer Vision techniques in image processing and photogrammetry
- Software development experience with Java or modern C++
- Proficiency in one of the following areas: statistics, optimization, photogrammetry, machine learning, image analysis, remote sensing technology, and signal processing
- Experience with geospatial applications, data formats, and concepts such as GeoTIFFs, NTFF, coordinate reference systems, GIS, GDAL
- Experience working with LiDAR and/or photogrammetric point clouds
- Experience working on intelligence and DoD programs
- Prior/existing security clearance
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,500 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software, and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement.
ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments.
To find out more about the Software Enterprise Division visit our website at: https://www.ara.com/raleigh/