American Realty Advisors, LLC (ARA) is one of the largest privately held private equity institutional real estate investment managers in the United States, with over $10 billion in assets under management. ARA invests on behalf of institutional investors through core and value-add real estate funds and separate accounts, targeting industrial, office, multi-family, and retail assets nationwide through direct equity, hybrid debt, mezzanine, and preferred equity structures.
ARA’s Summer Analyst Internship is a rotational program designed to expose interns to ARA’s national portfolio of real estate assets providing opportunities to gain real-world knowledge and experience. The Intern is primarily responsible for assisting the Asset Management and Portfolio Management groups through participation in several activities within each department. This position will help the Intern develop fundamental real estate skills that will enable them to demonstrate experience and competency in a broad range of institutional, commercial real estate.
- Over the course of 8-10 weeks, the intern will gain broad exposure to institutional real estate investment and ARA as a firm.
- This will be achieved through day-to-day work and facilitated through a weekly meeting with the Intern’s supervisor to ensure goals are being met.
- With the supervisor’s support, participate in one-on-one meetings with senior-level representatives of each department throughout the internship.
- Build on core competencies of an Asset Management Analyst through immersion in Argus and Excel modeling, market analysis, and formal business writing.
- The responsibilities of the Intern will include a subset of the following:
- Assist in commercial lease review/lease analysis along with a senior member of the Asset Management team and Lease Counsel (if possible).
- Assist in the preparation and drafting of memos to the Operations Committee/Investment Committee.
- Participate in leasing calls with office/industrial brokers.
- Review a property’s detailed annual budget.
- Participate in discussions regarding potential capital improvement projects, emphasizing developing a deeper understanding of required versus elective capital expenditure projects.
- Participate in pre-disposition discussions, and analyses include hold/sell analyses, go-forward IRR analyses, and broker BOV presentations (if possible)
- Understand the role of Portfolio Management, including the participation and review of the investment plan, both strategically and tactically.
- Prepare materials to address ad hoc investor or consultant requests.
- Work with the Marketing Group to address data-related questions for fund marketing materials and review the various quarterly and ad hoc monitoring of the Fund’s existing metrics, activities, and performance.
- Assist with the completion of a quarterly portfolio dashboard report.
- Assist the Portfolio Manager with cash coordination and forecasts.
- Contribute to quarterly investment committee presentations.
- Assist in writing the quarterly report portfolio manager letter and fund snapshot.
- An undergraduate student who is currently in their sophomore, junior, or entering their senior year in the fall of 2021.
- Demonstrated interest in either real estate, finance, or investment management through a combination of coursework, volunteer, and academic clubs/societies.
The ideal candidate for this role will exhibit competency in the areas listed below. At ARA, we see possessing these traits as vital to the success of the position:
- Creative Thinking – An innovative thinker who translates thoughts into actionable items.
- Works Collaboratively – A team player with a commitment to achieving objectives through collective action and communication.
- High Energy – Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where multi-tasking is essential.
- Models Our Values – Conducts daily business and interactions with mindfulness to reflect ARA’s culture and promote its values and standards.
- Results Driven – Outperforms expectations and promotes the firm’s competitive advantage through an analytical and context-driven approach to problem-solving.
- Expected work hours: 8:30 to 5:30, Monday through Friday, with occasional weekends.
- Travel: Business trips with overnight stays may be required. Occasionally may need to drive a personal vehicle for business.
- Work environment and physical demands: General office environment.
- Vaccination is required to enter the workspace and ARA will consider accommodations for disability- and religious-based reasons.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
American Realty Advisors is committed to equal employment opportunity.
ARA considers for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance No. 184652.