Internships at Barclays
Our internships are the perfect introduction to the world of financial services. You’ll be immersed in your chosen business area, learning from our people and taking on real business challenges.
Wherever you join us, you’ll discover a platform to help you absorb the essential skills and knowledge you’ll need to progress on your journey at Barclays. You’ll receive genuine support and encouragement, with both senior and junior mentors to guide you; and you’ll have the opportunity to take part in networking and social events. We want you to feel part of our community from the very start.
Turn information into insight
Get your career off to an incredible start in our Macro Research team. Surrounded by experienced experts, you’ll gain a sound understanding of rates, FX and commodities markets, as well as the economic forces that influence them. Find out if you have what it takes to succeed here by becoming a summer associate.
A place where you can thrive
At Barclays, you’ll be surrounded by people who will help you achieve your ambitions. Our collaborative, supportive environment gives you the chance to build solid relationships with senior leaders and peers alike.
Real responsibility, right away
Expect to gain valuable experience, while also having a genuine impact on our business. Working closely with a senior analyst, you’ll exercise your abilities to contribute ideas to thematic research reports and investment recommendations.
You’ll gain a sound understanding of rates, FX and commodities markets, as well as the economic forces that influence them. Day-to-day, you could be involved in a wide range of activities, including:
Diving deep into the fundamentals of key markets and economies, you will:
- study the linkages between rates, FX and commodities markets
- develop an understanding of micro structure in bond, interest rate derivatives, FX and commodity markets
- work on custom projects and conduct empirical studies using public databases and Barclays’ proprietary data, models and analytics
- gain experience on the publication process of Barclays Research periodicals
- learn how we form the firm’s macro outlook on the global economy
- help deliver market-leading research in rates, FX and commodities
- interact with sales, trading desks and other research groups.
To be considered for this program, you must:
- be a Masters or PhD student in a technical discipline such as Economics, Econometrics, Finance, Operations Research or Public Policy with an anticipated graduation date between December 2022 – June 2023.
Ideally, you would also have:
- a 3.2 GPA or above
- resourcefulness, team-orientation, enthusiasm and an entrepreneurial spirit, demonstrated through participation in extracurricular activities
- an interest in macroeconomics and international economics
- prior experience in empirical methods/econometrics
- strong quantitative skills, including statistics and time series analysis
- a team player mentality, with the ability to think creatively and present your ideas clearly
- familiarity working in a programming environment, such as Python, Matlab, SAS, Eviews and Excel VBA
- interest in financial markets
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- boundless energy and curiosity about how the world works.
Ready to apply?
Please submit an application through Barclays’ online system. Then, submit your resume and cover letter through your school’s career management application system if required. Please note that you can apply to only one Barclays graduate program globally.
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the firm.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Our Purpose and Values
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability for the common good and the long term. Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone’s contribution.
For further information about Barclays, please visit our website home.barclays
To learn more about careers at Barclays, visit search.jobs.barclays
It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.