Charter Impact empowers mission-driven organizations to achieve their goals through personalized support in finance, operations and business management. We accomplish this through enthusiastic collaboration within our team and with our clients to support their communities. We are growing on a national scale and are continuously seeking qualified candidates to join us. Ideal candidates will be highly-motivated professionals who are committed to supporting the team in an environment of growth and change.
The Director of Client Finance is responsible for overseeing Charter Impact’s service delivery, as well as acting as an outsourced CFO on behalf of our clients. He/She will oversee all finance, accounting and compliance reporting for assigned clients by working with the Charter Impact accounting, accounts payable and payroll/HR staff, ensuring accuracy and timeliness of financial information. This position is highly visible to Charter Impact clients and therefore, an upbeat personality and customer-service oriented sense of professionalism is a must.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervises financial and accounting services and provides direction in financial statement preparation, accounts payable, accounts receivable, expense tracking by grant, grant reporting – for both governmental and private grants, and ad hoc reporting as requested.
- Reviews all financial statements as prepared by the accounting department to ensure compliance with GAAP.
- Prepares annual budgets and monthly forecasts for clients while providing valuable insight as to their financial condition.
- Oversees the annual financial and governmental A-133 audits – which would include work paper preparation, liaison with auditors and understanding of the governmental programs.
- Oversees and ensures the accuracy and timeliness of all compliance reporting.
- Serves as a fiscal liaison to Authorizers, Counties, State and Federal Agencies.
- Provides training to client staff to ensure internal controls are properly implemented and followed.
- Works with organizational leaders and other executives to ensure financial information is properly communicated.
- Exceeds clients’ expectations both in terms of quality and accuracy of the information at all times.
- Develops and maintains long-term relationships with client leadership and staff.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of the charter industry and related funding through regular professional development.
- Mentors staff to ensure continued professional growth within the firm.
Generally, any combination of education that would provide the required knowledge and skills for successful performance would qualify. A typical method of demonstrating these requirements would be:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance is required.
- Master’s degree in Finance or Accounting is highly desired.
- 7 years of experience, a portion of which includes oversight and development of staff is required.
- Experience in a professional service firm, such as a CPA firm is a plus.
- Experience in charter school finance and operations is a plus.
- Non-profit accounting experience is a plus.
CERTIFICATION: Certified Public Accountant is highly desired, but not required.
- Maintain, encourage and participate in a close and highly collaborative team environment with clients and Charter Impact staff.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- High organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Self-starter – able to prioritize and multi-task without daily direct supervision.
- Computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly MS Excel.
- Knowledge of Abila/Sage Non-Profit Accounting and Paychex/ADP software.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS(with or without accommodation as needed to perform essential job functions):
- Read numbers, reports, and documents on computer terminals.
- Use the telephone and other communication devices.
- Lift up to 20 pounds (Light).
- Prolonged standing, some bending, stooping and stretching.
TYPICAL MENTAL DEMANDS:
Ability to give, receive, and analyze information, formulate work plans, prepare written materials and articulate goals and action plans.
- Work indoors in a standard office environment.
- Work outside of normal workdays and office hours to meet deadlines.
- Come in direct contact with client staff, students, parents and the public.
- Travel regularly to client locations in southern CA.