- No experience or training required
- At least 20 ½ years-old at the time of application
- U.S. high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED); waived if you have a college degree from an accredited college within the U.S.
- Forty (40) semester college credits or 60 quarter college credits from a U.S. accredited college or university.
- Military Veterans with an honorable discharge can substitute four (4) years of service in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard in lieu of the minimum college credit requirement
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien who has applied for citizenship
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license
- Must have at least 20/40 corrected vision
- No felony, domestic violence or misdemeanor assault convictions; cannot currently be on probation or parole