The Orange County Social Services Agency (SSA) administers Federal, State, and County social services programs that protect children and adults from abuse or neglect; enable the frail and disabled to remain in their homes rather than being institutionalized; move eligible families from dependency to self-sufficiency; and provide benefits for eligible CalWORKs, CalFresh, Refugee, General Relief, and Medi-Cal recipients.
SSA’s Community and Government Relations team provides resources and information to SSA employees and supports staff in carrying out the agency’s mission, vision, and goals. One important function is that of the Public Information Officer, who strategically manages the agency’s public image through establishing relationships with and providing information to customers, the media, and community leaders and partners.
Under direct supervision of the Public Information Officer, interns will assist with writing, proofreading, and editing of content, graphic design and print production materials such as brochures and newsletters. In addition, they will assist with managing the agency’s website, visual communications, and social media sites to increase public awareness and education of residents, business partners, media, and other stakeholders.
Specific duties and assignments may include the following:
- Assist with videotaping and video editing,using Adobe Premiere and Apple iMovie software;
- Assist with photography of SSA staff and events;
- Assist in creating collateral and graphic materials with InDesign Illustrator, and Photoshop;
- Assist in responding to a variety of public information related inquiries and requests;
- Assist in the coordination, set up, and presentation during press-related events;
- Participate in meetings, schedule and conduct presentations, assist with day-to-day administrative duties, and other related duties as assigned;
- Conduct research, gather information, and draft content of agency events and activities; and
- Assist in the development and updating of media lists and other databases
- Assist with developing and publishing content on SSA’s social media pages and websites
This internship is best suited for college students or recent graduates majoring in and/or with personal/professional experience in one or more of the following areas: public relations, political science, marketing, communications, journalism, marketing, social work, human services, visual arts/design, videography, photography, graphic art/design, or related fields.
Skills, Training or Qualifications:
Ideal candidates for this internship will have a basic understanding of the methods and techniques used in public relations, media relations, and community outreach; excellent writing skills including proper use of grammar, spelling, and punctuation; the ability to communicate effectively with the public and staff at all levels of the organization; and maintain a high level of customer service while interfacing with governmental agencies, community groups, and the general public.
Interns must have excellent organizational skills, with the ability to take direction well and complete assignments under tight deadlines. Computer proficiency is required, including familiarity with MS Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); and experience with PC-based graphic design and video editing software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, iMovie, and Adobe Premier.
Interns may be required to occasionally drive their personal vehicles to offsite meetings/events within Orange County. If interns operate a personal vehicle as part of their assignment, a valid, state-issued driver’s license and proof of auto insurance coverage for personal injuries and property damage are required.
Up to 20 hours per week for 3 or more months. Flexible hours during normal business hours (Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) are available. Applicants able to schedule the maximum hours/duration listed for the internship typically gain a more in-depth experience.
Benefits Available to Intern:
Although this is an unpaid internship that does not lead to permanent employment or include employee benefits, students and recent graduates are offered an excellent opportunity to:
- Develop public relations, social media, and communication skills.
- Acquire experience working in a professional office environment for one of Orange County’s largest employers.
- Apply skills and knowledge acquired in an academic setting to the workplace.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the variety of programs and services offered by SSA that encompass health, child protection, assistance, and self-sufficiency in order to promote the well being of Orange County residents.
- Be a part of a highly visible, dynamic team.
Prior to placement, applicants may be asked to submit contact information for reference checks, and a LiveScan criminal record check through the California Department of Justice will be conducted. A U.S. Social Security number and valid state-issued driver’s license or identification card are required for the LiveScan.
Students who are interested in earning academic credit are encouraged to apply for this intern position.