Senior System Administrator
BOSTON, MA /INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY /FULL-TIME
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 50 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We are looking for a Senior System Administrator to lead the support and implementation of new technologies. You will be responsible for the design, installation, configuration, and maintenance of the existing and future corporate infrastructure. Your role will be integral to supporting scientists, engineers, and developers by troubleshooting day-to-day problems, maintaining business applications, and ensuring a secure and highly available systems environment. In-scope technologies for the Senior System Administrator include but are not limited to Linux, VMware, storage and server hardware.
- Setup, configure, and perform day-to-day maintenance and administration of multiple Linux distributions running on physical and virtual environments
- Manage VMware 6.x products, including ESXi, vSphere, vCenter, VM Replication, vMotion, VM Backup and Recovery.
- Implement and maintain storage devices including installation, upgrade and configuration of volumes
- Own the production server infrastructure, including upgrades, backups, performance tuning, fault resolution and capacity planning
- Manage DNS, DHCP, Backup and Recovery
- Collaborate with team members to troubleshoot and resolve network, storage, servers and application related issues.
- Ensure maximum up time by addressing critical issues as they arise, and utilizing excellent troubleshooting, multi-tasking and analytical skills.
- Effectively manage time and priorities, delivering projects on schedule and communicating issues proactively
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or related technical field, preferred
- Extensive hands-on experience installing, configuring and administering multiple Linux distributions, such as RedHat, Ubuntu and Centos
- Experience with NAS/SAN storage administration and configuration
- Strong knowledge of managing and upgrading VMware vSphere (6.5+) environments
- Well versed in NFS, CIFS and iSCSI
- Good scripting skills, especially Python and Bash
- Working knowledge of Windows Server administration and Active directory
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, and enthusiasm for the Ginkgo mission
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.