For over 30 years, GLAAD has been a dynamic media force rewriting the script for LGBTQ acceptance. Our work tackles tough issues that shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change. GLAAD operates with support from foundations, corporations, and individuals from every corner of the United States. We pride ourselves on recruiting a highly skilled staff of more than 50 people in multiple offices and managing an annual operating budget in excess of $12 million.
GLAAD’s internship program is a unique opportunity to contribute to the inner workings of a national leader in the fight for LGBTQ acceptance. The Entertainment Research & Analysis team performs the media advocacy and anti-defamation work of GLAAD within the entertainment industry, advocating for fair, accurate and inclusive media representations in all entertainment media, and building relationships with entertainment media and industry professionals.
The Entertainment Research & Analysis intern will play an essential role in researching and providing content for GLAAD’s website and its entertainment reports: Where We Are on TV, the Studio Responsibility Index which quantifies LGBT impressions in Hollywood films, and other reports and studies that may arise. The intern will spend most days researching, screening programs/films, compiling data, writing posts for the GLAAD blog and providing support to other members of the Entertainment Media Team as needed. The intern will report to the Director of Entertainment Research & Analysis. This will be a hybrid remote 3-month, part-time paid internship.
- Assisting in the creation of annual Where We Are on TV report including researching, screening programs, compiling data into spreadsheets, and discussing storylines with team lead at high-level media critique
- Assisting in the creation of annual Studio Responsibility Index report including researching, screening films, compiling data into spreadsheets, and discussing storylines with team lead at high-level media critique
- Researching and providing weekly written articles for the GLAAD blog and website on timely LGBTQ entertainment news
- Other tasks as assigned
General Knowledge & Competencies
- Knowledge of the entertainment industry and LGBTQ issues
- Strong written and oral communication skills and organizational skills
- An ability to manage multiple tasks to meet deadlines, and a desire to be a self-starter
- Attention to detail and ability to think creatively to achieve assigned tasks
- Proficiency with office technologies including G-Suite and MS Office Suite
- Media critique and literacy experience
- Strong commitment and passion for GLAAD’s mission and core values
Ideal candidate is a recent graduate (graduated within the past year) or an undergraduate/graduate student in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, digital media fields.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
GLAAD was established with the premise that expanding diversity within the organization enhances the work experience and furthers the understanding of the entire mission that GLAAD is based upon. An atmosphere of civility and mutual respect towards difference is indispensable to the work process and enables the free interchange of ideas that is the basis of a successful organization. These differences may be cultural, ethnic, religious, intellectual, ideological or political. Each of these qualities is integral to the identity we form as individuals, and all are essential to creating a vibrant workforce here at GLAAD comprised of individuals with unique perspectives and backgrounds. GLAAD has committed itself to a workforce of inclusion, respect for difference, and fairness, and guarantees the same rights to all its employees to ensure the fullest degree of success within the organization.