Are you ready for an exciting professional challenge?
Do you love learning how to build things from scratch while honing your Finance skills? Are you looking for a role experience that isn’t like any other company? We have a team looking for exactly that kind of person.
Groupon is an experiences marketplace that brings people more ways to get the most out of their city or wherever they may be. By enabling real-time mobile commerce across local businesses, live events and travel destinations, Groupon helps people find and discover experiences––big and small, new and familiar––that make for a full, fun and rewarding life. Groupon helps local businesses grow and strengthen customer relationships––resulting in strong, vibrant communities. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success.
At Groupon, Accounting isn’t your typical month-end close type of department. While the heart of our day-to-day work is providing financial information to the business, that’s only the tip of the iceberg. We’re building out financial systems and processes to support every new business line and product, so our Technical Accounting team gets a granular view and understanding of how a business is crafted from the ground up. The knowledge to gain is vast, as is the potential of our organization to continue growing.
The Corporate Accounting team is responsible for assessing the accounting treatment for material transactions across the company as well as identifying processes that can be standardized and streamlined.
We’re a “best of both worlds” kind of company. We’re big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We’re curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work? Why don’t you start by meeting some of the finance professionals around the world who are re-inventing the finance model at Groupon.
- Work closely with the Finance, Facilities, and Treasury teams on understanding accounting implications of terms and conditions of investments, leases, and other significant transactions and initiatives across the Company.
- Research technical accounting issues to ensure compliance with Company policy and GAAP guidance on various areas including leases, goodwill, investments, and possibly other areas such as share-based compensation, revenue recognition, gross versus net revenue presentation, foreign currency and prepare related white-paper documentation.
- Facilitate the process of implementing new standards and accounting changes to ensure the Company is prepared to comply at the necessary time.
- Execute month-end close activities relating mostly to leases, but possibly also, share-based compensation, investment valuation, and execution of estimation models relating to refunds and variable consideration under ASC 606.
- Assist with ad-hoc questions raised from the business to assess the relevant accounting implications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA is a plus
- Either 1 year of relevant accounting experience or strong internship experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Sound understanding of US GAAP
- The ability to multi-task and play key roles in several projects
- Detail-oriented with a penchant for preparing meticulously accurate work
- Enthusiastic, adaptable, and see challenges as an opportunity to grow
- You’re comfortable with MS Office, with Excel being your secret favorite
- Desire to join a collaborative but driven Accounting department
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members and learn more about our inclusive employee groups. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.