The Manager, Operational Excellence supports the Distribution Center (DC) by collaboratively driving improvements in performance, efficiency, and quality metrics. The role will work directly with the Area Managers and Operation Managers and coach the leaders on integrating Lean Performance System methodologies into the everyday business of the distribution center. The manager will also work closely with Engineering, IT, Training, and all of Operations to develop, implement, and ensure compliance of process improvement initiatives within the DC. He/She will leverage Lean principles to drive process and throughput efficiency. This candidate must be self-motivated, have high attention to detail, have strong communication skills, and work effectively in a team environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as a change agent within the DC to identify, lead, support and implement lean distribution methodologies
- Work in a collaborative, team-oriented environment to drive and lead process improvement within the DC
- Develop and review process designs, business cases, specifications, and implementation plans
- Serve as a key partner to Operations, Engineering, and Training
- Leverage existing best practices within the network and industry to drive improvements within the DC
- Models the Company’s values so to influence others to perform in an aligned manner
- Provide necessary communication and motivation to staff; monitor individual performance via observation and review of various productivity metrics; counsel and discipline as necessary
- Lead the creation and sustainment of a culture of continuous process improvement and associate engagement
- Troubleshoot and provide solutions for issues that are complex in scope
- Lead projects to ensure effective process integration across the DC and/or across the DC network
- Develop and/or manage KPIs to ensure performance, service, quality and cost goals are achieved
- Ensure that a climate of openness, trust and respect exists for each Associate
- Establish courses of action for self and others to ensure that work objectives are approached with a sense of urgency, attacked in a standardized manner, and consistent with building goals and objectives
- Lead in ways that ensure the work environment is maintained in accordance with 5S and Safety requirements
- Continually build business acumen by accurately identify problems, issues and opportunities, collect data to draw conclusions and choose a course of action based on facts
- Regular attendance is an essential function of the job
- Additional responsibilities as defined by manager
Job Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 3 yrs. of work history directly related to Distribution, operations management and/or process engineering
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to observe processes in detail, and coach to behaviors using the standards provided
- Proven ability as a self-starter and proactive problem-solver
- Strong leadership skills that are displayed through the ability to coach and influence up and across the leadership structure
- Solid background and accomplishments in Distribution Operations, Distribution Systems, Standard work, and Training and Development
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to take initiatives to make and stand by decisions
- Experience with work measurement methodologies and tools with an emphasis on time study expertise
- Experience in best methods development
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to learn quickly and follow project plans resulting in timely project delivery
- Advanced computer skills, MS suite, Visio
- Lean Six Sigma experience preferred
- Leadership – Models the Company’s values and influences others to achieve individual or team objectives. Promotes development of a highly engaged and high-performance team.
- Communication – Clearly conveys information through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that is understandable, easy to retain and timely.
- Initiative – Approaches work objectives with a sense of urgency and a dedication to exceeding performance expectations.
- Problem-solving/Decision-making – Accurately identifies problems, issues and opportunities, collects data to draw conclusions and chooses a course of action based on facts.
- Planning & Organization – Establishes courses of action for self and others to ensure that work objectives are met.
- Policy Compliance – Manages in accordance with Company policies and procedures and promotes compliance in others.
- Humility – Models core Company competency by remaining humble in all activities and tasks.
- Organizational Scope – Provides direct coaching to facility Area Managers and Operations Manager
- Travel 10%
General office environment requiring ability to:
- stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time
- speak and listen to others in person and over the phone
- use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports
- lift 50 pounds