As an Application Developer, you will lead IBM into the future by translating system requirements into the design and development of customized systems in an agile environment. The success of IBM is in your hands as you transform vital business needs into code and drive innovation. Your work will power IBM and its clients globally, collaborating and integrating code into enterprise systems. You will have access to the latest education, tools and technology, and a limitless career path with the world’s technology leader. Come to IBM and make a global impact!
Your Role and Responsibilities
- During your 10-12 week summer internship, you’ll have an exciting opportunity to: Join our IBM North America intern community and meet other IBMers during networking events, special team events and career development activities.
- Meet with a mentor to help envision what your future at IBM could look like.
- Participate on a consulting project or initiative and experience first-hand how we help businesses transform and stay competitive in the marketplace.
- Learn how we focus on our clients’ technical and business needs to co-create solutions that add value.
- Work on a high-performing team to collaboratively deliver for clients. Depending on the project, you’ll have the opportunity to develop an understanding of our client’s future state goals and processes, then define the steps needed and leading technologies to help turn their goals into reality.
- Learn about a client’s industry, tackle new challenges, and learn about how their business and technology intersect.
At IBM, we prioritize ongoing learning, development of technical and core consulting skills, and investing in your personal growth, all grounded in a culture of coaching and mentorship – you’ll get exposure to all that and more as an intern.
Work you could do as a Developer Intern:
Since IBM provides a variety of consulting services to our clients, the specific work and technologies you’ll learn will vary depending on your assigned team. As a Developer intern, you may:
- Work in an Agile environment alongside other developers to understand requirements, design, code and test innovative applications, and support those applications for our highly valued customers.
- Learn and apply IBM’s Design Thinking to create products that provide a great user experience along with high performance, security, quality, and stability.
- Assist in creating deliverables from mockups and UI components to algorithms and data structures.
- Perform Quality Assurance (QA) on a project’s code to better understand the framework and be able to find the source of bugs and defects within the project
- Gain exposure to a variety of relational databases (SQL, Postgres, DB2, MongoDB), operating systems (Linux, Windows, iOS, Android), and modern UI frameworks (Backbone.js, AngularJS, React, Ember.js, Bootstrap, and JQuery).
- Understand an entire system architecture for a project – from backend to front end, to design, develop, and support high quality, scalable products and interfaces.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Track record of academic success
- Highly motivated with a strong growth mindset – take the initiative to actively seek new knowledge and improve skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to think strategically about business, product and technical challenges in an enterprise environment.
- Ability to look at things differently, debug, troubleshoot, design and implement solutions to complex technical issues.
- Interest in working across architecture – building both front end and backend.
- Exposure to modern UI frameworks such as Angular.js and React.
- Basic understanding of Cloud – AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, or IBM Cloud.
- Interest in, understanding of, or experience with Design Thinking and Agile Development Methodologies.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Currently in pursuit of BA/BS in following majors: Computer Science, Engineering or another STEM field