Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for undergraduate students to join the Cybersecurity Summer Internship (CSI) program and to work on topics related to cybersecurity that align with LLNL’s national security missions. The 2022 CSI program will run during the summer with flexible dates between May 1, 2022, and September 15, 2022. CSI is designed to provide selected candidates an opportunity to apply the skills they have acquired to projects in areas of national importance. The program will include opportunities to participate in Capture the Flag (CTF)-style challenges, network with fellow interns and lab employees, and learn more about work going on at LLNL. The positions will be in the Energy and Homeland Security Program (E Program) within the Global Security Directorate.
In this role you will
- Work with scientists, engineers, and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of cybersecurity, critical infrastructure, and other related fields.
- Under close supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data and information in support of scientific research.
- Participate in research planning and evaluation discussions.
- Attend relevant seminars and training classes (at least one per week).
- Present work in at least one seminar or poster.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or other related fields.
- Effective programming skills in C/C++, Java, or Python.
- Demonstrated exposure through coursework or relevant experience to some of the following topics: Network/Protocol Analysis; Intrusion Detection; Cryptography; Reverse Engineering; Incident Response; Malware Analysis; Systems Programming; Matlab/Simulink.
- Ability to apply basic principles of computer science to solve cybersecurity problems.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.0 or above
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.