At MGO we do a lot more than crunch numbers and prepare filings. Our approach leverages input from throughout our organization – giving everyone a voice and an opportunity to make an impact. Utilizing a state-of-the-art technology platform, we go beyond the numbers to provide invaluable financial and operational insight to a diverse array of dynamic clients – from enduring institutions to disruptive start-ups.
By delivering strategic guidance with a personal touch, we are reshaping ideas of what a CPA firm is capable of – and give our professionals the support to self-determine the path their career takes.
MGO is growing and we are looking for motivated, hard working and dynamic entry level Tax Associates / Accountants with a strong passion for public accounting and tax services to join the team in Orange County starting in 2022! A career in our public Tax sector will provide you with the opportunities to learn and develop technical skills in order to prep and execute returns of all kinds and industries.
This Tax Associate / Accountant role will perform intermediate level accounting functions related to both accounting/audit and tax specifications. Responsible for utilizing research skills, applying tax foundational knowledge to understand potential tax issues, gathering client information necessary for filing, participating in tax planning, recognizing and communication potential risks, preparing tax accrual work paper and working with tax software applications to complete tax returns for review.
Core Responsibilities & Essential Functions
- Complete assigned tasks / jobs.
- Learn the growth process (identify and communicate growth).
- Identify and help solve engagement (job) technical issues, anomalies, non-routine items.
- Collaborate and communicate with client and team members in a professional manner.
- Actively sit and pass CPA examination.
- Works with the tax team to prepare and learn to review tax returns.
- Provides standard client service accounting functions.
- Provides timely, high quality client service that meets or exceeds client expectations.
- Books journal entries.
- Assist tax department with tax return preparation.
- Assists with implementing and maintaining internal financial controls and procedures.
- Directs and/or prepare 1099’s, W2’s, and Payroll Tax Reports.
- Recognizes and informs senior management of opportunities to increase level and types of services to clients.
- Ensures professional development through ongoing education and obtaining additional certifications as appropriate.
- Handles routine client tax questions, and works with clients to collect necessary information for tax return completion and compliance.
- Stays informed about Firm capabilities other than tax compliance area, and promotes these activities to clients when appropriate.
- Completes research and special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting or related field required.
- CPA preferred. If not a CPA, must meet educational 150 credit requirements to sit for the CPA exam.
- Prior experience using Tax systems and software, CCH ProSystems Fx, Axcess Tax, Engagement, BNA, etc.
- 0-1 years of experience in public accounting required.
- Excellent customer service skills (internal and external).
- Creative problem solving and research skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work effectively both as part of a team and independently.
- Highly motivated and interested in taking the initiative for personal growth and development.
- Able to handle multiple priorities, tasks and simultaneous projects.
- Ability to travel to client locations which may include occasional overnight stays.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Why work for MGO?
MGO’s professionals take a holistic, multi-disciplinary approach to accounting, financial and advisory services. Our teams collaborate across internal functions and service lines to build institutional knowledge, formulate insight, and deliver efficiencies that make a difference – not only in the marketplace, but in the lives of our clients and team members. That’s why we value characteristics like teamwork, communication, creativity, and leadership when building our teams.
We are growing fast and new opportunities emerge every day. If you’re not afraid of pushing the status quo, MGO offers a supportive setting where you can take control of your career while still enjoying the mentorship to develop new skills in an environment where you thrive.