Advocate for Migrant Farm Workers, focusing on pro se assistance and eviction prevention.
Join Montana Legal Services Association and make justice possible. You’ll enjoy Montana’s outdoor lifestyle while representing those without a voice in our civil legal system.
MLSA is a progressive Montana non-profit law firm. We offer our staff challenging and fulfilling work, where you can go home each day knowing you made a tangible difference. MLSA provides a supportive and collegial work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and a generous benefits package.
MLSA is an equal opportunity employer and we consider the diversity of our staff to be vital to our organization’s success. We strongly encourage and welcome people of all cultures, races, educational backgrounds, life experiences, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, ages, genders, and physical abilities to apply.
Who We Are: MLSA is committed to the idea that equal justice under the law is a right, not a privilege. We are zealous advocates for Montanans who struggle to make ends meet and deserve their day in court.
- Our attorneys have pursued impact litigation all the way to Montana’s Supreme Court, helping to level the playing field for all Montanans.
- Our staff works with clients statewide and within Montana’s Tribal Courts.
- We are nationally recognized for our forward-thinking approach to civil legal aid and for our use of technology to advance the cause of justice for all in Montana.
The Position: We’re looking for a Farmworker Intake Advocacy Assistant to be based in MLSA’s Helena or Billings office. The pay range is $33,000-$36,000, depending on experience.
- MLSA offers company-paid health, dental, vision and life insurance; an educational loan repayment assistance program; a 403(b) retirement plan; and eligibility for a health reimbursement or health savings account.
- We also offer a generous paid leave package, including annual, personal and sick leave, and a wellness leave program.
- And if you move from another town in Montana to join us, we offer up to $500 for relocation reimbursement (or $1,000 if you move from out of state).
- Prior legal experience is preferred, but a demonstrated commitment to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion through volunteer activities and internships is valued.
- Provide services to MLSA’s Spanish speaking clients, and translation and interpretation with clients when appropriate.
- Provide paralegal support to attorneys in ongoing cases, including: draft correspondence, discovery and simple pleadings; calendar all case-related dates and events; file pleadings in court; serve court files and discovery, investigate, examine, and analyze documents obtained from the court files, in discovery and from other sources as needed or requested.
- Commitment to providing high quality legal assistance to low-to-moderate income Montanans.
- Ability and willingness to work cooperatively and collegially within a decentralized statewide law firm.
Helena: Montana’s capital city, centrally located for a wide variety of outdoor adventures. Helena offers over 80 miles of hiking trails accessible from downtown and its nationally recognized mountain biking trail system offers a full range of expert to family-friendly rides. Cross-country ski trails abound and the local downhill ski area is just 23 miles from Helena and boasts affordable lift tickets, short lift lines, and night skiing on Fridays. Home of the Archie Bray Foundation, Helena Symphony, and many other theaters and museums gives Helena the title, #1 small arts community in the country. Our Helena office is a short walk to Downtown Helena and the Great Northern Town Center featuring great local coffee shops, eateries, craft breweries, a wine bar, a distillery, and handmade ice cream.
Billings: The largest city in Montana, Billings has plenty to offer and maintains the feel of small town Montana. Bursting with craft beer, Montana’s only walkable brewery trail is located close to our office, in the heart of downtown Billings. A self-guided tour is made up of six breweries, two distilleries and one cider house. Nestled in between sandstone cliffs and the Beartooth Mountains which gives Billings the “Montana’s Trailhead” name. There is a path for any personality: Arts & Culture Aficionado, History Buff, Outdoor Enthusiast, Foodie, Roadtripper, Shopaholic, Wellness, and Family Adventures.
Why Should You Apply?
- Live your values and put your passion or degree to work by advocating for people who deserve a voice in our legal system.
- Great benefits, generous leave, and competitive pay.
- Access to free CLE seminars and opportunities to attend national conferences and trainings.
- The chance to hone your skills in a friendly and supportive work environment.
How to Apply: Apply Here – Screening of applicants will begin immediately. The priority deadline for applications is April 30,2022. The position will remain open until filled.
Visit our website to download a detailed job description and to learn more about MLSA, our staff, and the work we do.