The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Purchasing Coordinator who will be responsible for processing purchase orders, procuring goods, problem solving, and delivering world-class customer service.
The Purchasing Coordinator reports to Purchasing Supervisor and provides accurate, timely, cost-effective, and customer-focused services to ensure compliance with PAVIR’s purchasing policies and procedures and regulatory requirements. The Purchasing Coordinator will also assist with obtaining vendor quotes and competitive bids.
Why Join Our Team?
PAVIR, located on the premises of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System, is a mid-size nonprofit foundation, closely connected with the VA and Stanford University. We offer ongoing training, opportunities for growth, generous benefits, great work-life balance, as well as a friendly, close-knit, and supportive environment. We work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists across a broad spectrum of research areas. We recruit talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative research.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position. Location: Palo Alto, CA.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- 13 paid Holidays
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Commuter Benefits
PAVIR is affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check.
- Generate purchase orders and procure goods and services on approved online requisitions and paper purchase orders assuring best available pricing;
- Follow-up and track orders;
- Arrange for credits and returns as necessary;
- Match packing slips with invoices and batch purchase orders;
- Obtain and organize supporting documentation related to Purchasing (i.e. packing slips, receipts, invoices and other related information);
- File purchasing and related accounts payable (A/P) documents to ensure proper maintenance of departmental records and documentation;
- Establish new accounts with vendors including applications for credit, submitting credit references, and obtaining completed Form W-9 and other documents as necessary;
- Assist with other duties and special projects as assigned by Supervisor and other senior managers.
- Required: HS diploma;
- Desired: Bachelor’s degree in Business or in a related field.
- Required: 6 – 12 months of related experience;
- Desired: 2 – 3 years of experience in purchasing. Previous experience working in a technical or biomedical environment highly desired.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Experience with standard concepts, practices, and procedures in purchasing, accounting, and data management;
- Knowledge of procurement, invoice management and vendor management desired;
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a team;
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and solve problems in a professional manner;
- Strong MS Outlook, Word, and Excel knowledge and skills;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing;
- Ability to follow directions and procedures and complete directed tasks accurately, on time, and independently;
- Ability to review processes to determine possible process improvements;
- Able to be flexible to adapt to changing needs of the department;
- Customer service focus, with an ability to interact effectively with a diversity of people (i.e. researchers, vendors, co-workers);
- Demonstrated ability to safeguard and effectively utilize corporate debit or credit card for authorized purchases and ensure that internal controls are complied with during the use of corporate debit or credit card.
Physical Demands: Lifting up to 50 lbs occasionally, delivering supplies / collecting packing slips on campus.
Environmental Conditions: Office environment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.