Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is looking to hire a full-time Research Assistant to conduct molecular and cell culture experiments which focus on the development and functions of cells of the immune system and vasculature in models of autoimmunity and cancer.
The Research Assistant will work with the Principal Investigator (PI), Eugene Butcher, M.D., lab manager and associated staff to perform general lab maintenance to ensure the seamless operations of the lab.
PAVIR offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, vision, dental, 13 paid holidays, paid vacation time, sick pay, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
We encourage you to apply if you have experience in molecular biology, cell culture, multi-dimensional flow cytometry, and performed procedures in research animals.
PAVIR, located on the premises of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System, is a mid-size nonprofit foundation, closely connected with the VA and Stanford University. We are a nimble organization, offering ongoing training, opportunities for growth, generous benefits, great work-life balance, as well as friendly, close-knit, and supportive environment. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists across a broad spectrum of research areas. We recruit talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative research.
- Perform sterile tissue culture of numerous cell and hybridoma lines;
- Generate, test, and maintain hybridoma cell lines;
- Carry out large-scale culture of specialized hybridoma cell lines and purify antibody from hybridoma cultures;
- Perform additional antibody purification when necessary;
- Perform cell-based assays when required, i.e., chemotaxis, T-cell differentiation and suppression assays;
- Perform immunoassays (ELISAs, Western Blots);
- Analyze samples using flow cytometers and confocal microscopes;
- Assist post-doctoral researchers with experiments;
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with lab members, lab manager and the PI about experimental planning, prioritization and coordination;
- Perform minor animal procedures (tail vein injection, blood sampling, immunizations);
- Assist in animal dissection and tissue isolation, monitor and check on research animals;
- Expose mice to tobacco smoke using a cigarette-smoking robot;
- Assist lab manager with lab safety compliance and regulations regarding health, biosafety, and research administration;
- Occasionally travel to Stanford;
- Assist in daily, weekly and monthly maintenance tasks, inventory and order supplies.
- Bachelor’s degree (or above) in biological sciences or in a related field is required;
- Experience performing minor procedures in research animals (i.e., mice and/or rats);
- Experience in cell culture (expanding and handling large cultures of cells), immunohistochemistry, microscopy, in vivo and in vitro T cell biology;
- Experience with multi-dimensional flow cytometry and analysis using FlowJo;
- Experience with antibody production/purification from hybridoma cultures;
- Previous experience or exposure to wet lab academic research environment;
- Knowledge of immunology, principles of cell culture, and molecular biology;
- Knowledge of research procedures/protocols gained through education and/or experience.
Physical Demands: Lifting up to 20 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, manual dexterity, etc.
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to a wet lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents. Occasionally travel to Stanford.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH LABORATORY?
If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.