This is an entry-level position that supports customer hardware, operating systems, and networks; and installs, maintains, and supports internal information technology infrastructure.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
The Associate Unix/Linux Systems Administrator, in addition to tasks assigned by management, is responsible for the following:
- Assists in administering and maintaining corporate computing environment, including network connectivity, Internet access, security mechanisms, etc.
- Assists the lead Network and Systems Engineer with the installation, configuration, maintenance, and support of Hitech’s Information Technology (IT) infrastructure:
- Server equipment, operating systems and applications (Linux, UNIX, Mac, Windows servers and clients)
- Shared application services and associated hardware including email, file servers, printers, scanners, and faxes
- Computing infrastructure (network cabling, power management, UPSes, storage arrays, racks, network jacks, etc.)
- Backup hardware, software, media, and procedures
- IP-PBX telephone system and end user stations
- Network equipment (switches, routers, and terminal servers)
- Provides network and systems engineering services to our customers
- Provides end-user hardware support (laptops, printers, routers, phones)
- Provides end-user OS and application support (Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 7, Microsoft Office, and others)
- Performs hardware and software troubleshooting, performs problem isolation, and implements appropriate corrective action
- Assists with the inventory management of software licenses, software media, hardware, and other IT supplies
- Assists with the specification of software, hardware, and other IT supplies for procurement
- Promotes responsible usage and care of corporate equipment
- Experience installing and configuring Linux and/or UNIX
- Experience supporting and maintaining network infrastructure
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent mathematical skills, including algebra
- Strong debugging and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Able to work well under pressure
- Able to meet deadlines for multiple tasks and projects
- Able to travel within the U.S.
- Able to pass a U.S. Department of Justice background check