This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
Sandia demonstrates its commitment to public safety in the national interest by requiring that all new hires attest to their vaccination status before commencing employment. The requirement also applies to those who are telecommuting and working virtually.
Any concerns about the ability to meet this requirement should be directed to HR Solutions at (505) 284-7400.
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a Computer Science Software Development professional to work as part of a small, highly productive team responsible for developing and maintaining web workflow applications, system software that interfaces with hardware and small applications used by organizations across the satellite enterprise.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform software development life cycle including requirements gathering, development, testing, maintenance, and enhancement of software applications
- Collaborate on design improvement, development, realization, and quality
- Become involved in a high visibility program area that manages the full range of remote sensing space system payloads and ground system software
Improved design, development, realization, and quality are all major thrusts of this program. Opportunities exist for creative software development solutions.
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Computer Engineering plus 5 years’ experience OR Master’s degree stated fields plus 1 year relevant experience
- Experience in software design, engineering and development skills, including familiarity with modern software development practices and tools
- Five years of combined experience developing software in languages such as C, C++, Java, etc.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a required DOE security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Proven experience developing device interface software using C#, GoLang, Python, SCPI, XML, and/or TCP programming languages and constructs.
- Knowledge or experience in design patterns such as Layered Architecture, Event Driven Architecture, Publish-Subscribe.
- Familiarity with software engineering life cycle methodologies such as RUP, ISO, and Agile
- Experience with User Interface (UX) design and development
- Proven ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with the ability to have positive interactions with the team, system users and customer management
- Ability to efficiently multi-task projects and roles within projects.
- Current and active DOE “Q” security clearance or “L” clearance with ability to obtain a “Q”
About Our Team
We are responsible for developing software and hardware solutions to complex science and engineering problems throughout the Satellite/Monitoring enterprise using industry standard practices and methodologies. We also serve as the Control Account Manager (CAM) for the GBD Payload Processor (GPP), providing project lead support and developer resources. Our Center 6700 applications and hardware solutions include: classified standalone networks; custom server builds; VM hosting; large data storage arrays and backups; private networks; cyber security; software interfaces to hardware; tracking engineering change orders; capturing nonconformity issues; configuration management and document control solutions; software bug tracking; routings and work-in-process functions; lab temperature and humidity monitoring; Oracle manufacturing custom interfaces; a host of reporting capabilities
We use a variety of languages in developing our software applications including Java, C#, C++, PHP, JQuery, Go, PL/SQL, and PERL. We develop, host and administer our own databases which include Oracle, MySQL, Mongo and SQLServer. We use a variety of methods to realize this mission including using incremental model, agile and waterfall methodologies. Our developers are involved in every stage of the lifecycle (i.e. requirements gathering, planning, requirements analysis, design, development, integration and test, implementation, operation, and maintenance.)
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.