Under the general supervision of the Director of Information Technology, serves as technical expert for the district’s database management systems. Administers the configuration and the security of these information systems, and performs complex data analysis to ensure data integrity. Serves as liaison between the applications and the database staff and vendors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs a variety of advanced technical and analytical functions within the district’s information systems, such as the student information system, K-12 enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, district’s bus routing system, and other database systems.
- Configures and maintains system functions and modules to ensure system capabilities meet the district’s needs.
- Analyzes, troubleshoots, and resolves information system issues at the district-level; refers server-level issues to the student information system vendor and serves as primary liaison with the vendor regarding ongoing system maintenance and troubleshooting and resolution of server-level system issues.
- Reviews and analyzes large, multi-faceted data sets and designs, develops, and produces a variety of complex reports; integrates data from multiple data sets into one database system to streamline information and develop reports; troubleshoots and resolves data integration and reporting issues; collects, inputs, retrieves, verifies, mines, and exports data from a variety of sources for use in various reports; develops and implements standards, practices, and procedures to ensure the integrity of data reported.
- Develops specifications for and designs and implements complex database queries for data analysis, configuration, reporting, and extract needs.
- Consults with users to assess and meet data and reporting needs; reviews and evaluates requests for data and reports to determine project schedules and timelines and ensure the timely production of data.
- Performs audits of data, records, and reports for accuracy and completeness, identifies errors or discrepancies and coordinates corrections.
- Recommends, implements, and coordinates projects and enhancements, in collaboration with vendors and information technology staff, to support and enhance district data management efforts; participates in the selection of information technology products and services to support data management.
- Provides technical support and training to staff on data reporting and use of data management applications; designs and produces training materials and resources.
- Provides training, guidance, and work direction to lower-level information technology staff.
- Represents the information technology department at various professional meetings, committees, and task forces to convey and obtain information.
- Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
Education and Experience
A high school diploma or equivalent AND five years of recent (gained in the past seven years) experience performing database operations or data analysis and reporting involving the use of database applications, preferably with student information systems. Structured Query Language (SQL) experience is preferred.
An associate degree in management information systems, computer science, information technology, or a related field AND three years of recent (gained in the past five years) experience performing database operations or data analysis and reporting involving the use of database applications, preferably with student information systems. Structured Query Language (SQL) experience is preferred.
A bachelor’s degree in management information systems, computer science, information technology, or a related field AND one year of recent (gained in the past three years) experience performing database operations or data analysis and reporting involving the use of database applications, preferably with student information systems. Structured Query Language (SQL) experience is preferred.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Operate and maintain assigned databases and specialized applications and systems
- Knowledge of database design and maintenance
- Knowledge of Student Information or Student Administration Systems, and/or K-12 Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems.
- Principles and practices of advanced data analysis and report design
- Principles and practices of data integration
- Database tools applicable to the position, including Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Database security principles and practices
- Principles and practices of project management
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations governing data management and reporting practices
- District organization, operations, policies, procedures, and objectives
- English grammar, spelling, and composition
- Perform complex data analysis, manipulation, and report design
- Identify, analyze, evaluate, troubleshoot, and solve complex data issues and requests
- Design and develop complex database querying and reporting capabilities
- Maintain up-to-date technical knowledge and skills and adapt, learn, and apply new information, skills, and technology
- Manage multiple assignments simultaneously
- Plan and organize work to meet changing priorities and deadlines
- Relay technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Maintain confidential records and information
- Collaborate with others to carry out work
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Exercise initiative and independence of judgment and action
- Provide training and guidance on proper procedures for data management and data accuracy
- Prepare technical records, reports, and documentation
Work is performed in an indoor environment where minimal safety considerations exist.