We hope you’re interested in building a home with us. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every requirement listed in this job description, we still encourage you to apply.
About the Team
You will be part of a collaborative team responsible for creating assortment strategies based on analyzing sales and trend. Our job blends creativity, analytics, and marketing. As the Associate Buyer, you will work closely with a very passionate and collaborative group of team members that are excited about Merchandising!
Overview of the role
The Associate Buyer will develop business strategies and seasonal assortment plans to maximize the development of the brand, sales and profits for one department or assigned area. You will be responsible for coordinating information across functions working closely with Design, Inventory Management, Sourcing, Production, Packaging and Visual to ensure the process is followed and timelines met. You will have the opportunity to attend and participate in design meetings while identifying opportunities and recommend new product or concepts for the department.
· Responsible to manage and oversee department or area
· Perform market analysis, competitive shop and analyze sales trends to keep abreast of current trends. Obtain feedback from stores to improve product and add to collections
· Identify emerging trends and develop business strategies outlining strengths, weaknesses, new opportunities and threats. Communicate annual and seasonal strategies to functional areas (Inventory, Design, Sourcing, Production, Packaging, Visual)
· Develop and recommend seasonal and core product mix for department or area
· Collaborate with Inventory Management to develop annual and seasonal financial plans
· Collaborate with Inventory Management to provide Sourcing and Production Management with purchase quantities, delivery dates, flow and exit strategies for initial cost and production negotiations for new programs
· Recommend and collaborate with Visual to plan floor layouts
· Provide Inventory Management with final assortment plans (line lists), product details, target retails, estimated IMU, importance to overall assortment (big bets), flow to DC and floor plan location for developing purchase projections and buy plans
· For assigned area, approve final: Product collections from Design s recommendations, Order quantities form Inventory Management s recommendations, Costing and delivery dates from Sourcing and Production, Changes that affect production deadlines and plan objectives, Floor plan layouts from Visual, and Signage and in-store collateral
· Collaborate with Inventory Management and recommend adjustments (markdowns, delivery changes and quantity changes) to the plan to maximize sales, profits, budget (OTB) and to protect the brand. Determine contests and provide awards
· Provide information to Visual on in-store promotion strategies and placement of markdown goods
· Correspond with functional areas. Resolves, handles and escalates difficult issues to Buyer, Call Center and Stores
· Summarize and communicate merchandising information for store newsletters and emails Coordinate with Store Operation for disseminating information through appropriate channels
· Work with Visual to create signage and in-store collateral. Provide Visual with product information (facts, inspiration, pricing). Coordinate the development all signage (new, special, markdowns) and all in-store collateral
· Communicate pre-ticketing instructions to Sourcing and Production. Provide Inventory Management with pre-ticketing prices
· Provide Merchandise Coordinator with product information (facts, pricing) to create Product Information sheets
· Develop the seasonal assortment plans (line lists) to define product requirements for Design
· Work with Inventory Management to provide Sourcing and Production Management with purchase quantities, delivery dates, flow and exit strategies for initial cost and production negotiations for new programs
· Provide Inventory Management with final assortment plans (line lists), product details, target retails, estimated IMU, importance to overall assortment (big bets) and floor plan location for developing purchase projections and buy plans. Update document and ensure accuracy
· Investigate and respond to field issues. Coordinate communication strategies with Store Operations. Provide appropriate merchandising information for Store Newsletters.
· Visit stores and contact field management to gather information on customer feedback and product issues
· Analyze market (domestic) and provide observations of market to Buyer for market analyses
· Identify and recommend new products or business opportunities
· Make recommendations to assist Buyer with developing seasonal and core product mix recommendations for department or area. Participate in the development of the annual and seasonal financial plans
· Recommend floor layouts
· Assist Buyer and Inventory Management with determining appropriate adjustments (markdowns, delivery charges and quantity changes) to the plan to maximize sales, profits, budget (OTB) and to protect the brand. Recommend contest ideas and coordinate awards and in-store collateral
· Assist Buyer with providing information to Visual on in-store promotion strategies and placement of markdown goods
· Handle escalated customer service issues
· Provide SKU information to Merchandising Operations for input
· Operate a computer and communicate via telephone
· Transport materials and equipment and lift, move, and carry objects up to 50 pounds on a limited basis
· BA/BS in a similar or related field
· 3+ years in Merchandising
· Advanced retail math skills
· Advanced MS Excel skills; required to create pivot tables, advanced formulas, and functions such as VLOOKUPS
· Ability to perform work onsite in the (San Francisco, Rocklin, Portland, New York, San Jose) office full-time pending state, local, and Company return-to-work guidance during and after the COVID-19 pandemic.
We believe in People First
We firmly believe that working in a culture focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion spurs innovation, creates healthy and high-performing teams, and delivers superior customer experiences. Our DEI initiatives prompt associate participation and engagement, aligning with our core vision to reflect the communities where we do business and put people first.
Benefits Just for You
Depending on your position and your location, here are a few highlights of what you might be eligible for:
· A generous discount on all Williams-Sonoma, Inc. brands
· A 401(k) plan and other investment opportunities
· Paid vacations, holidays, and time off to volunteer
· Health benefits, dental and vision insurance, including same-sex domestic partner benefits
· Tax-free commuter benefits
· A wellness program that supports your physical, financial and emotional health
Your Journey in Continued Learning
· In-person and online learning opportunities through WSI University
· Cross-brand and cross-function career opportunities
· Resources for self-development
· Advisor (Mentor) program
· Career development workshops and learning programs
· Speaker series
WSI will not now or in the future commence an immigration case or “sponsor” an individual for this position (for example, H-1B or other employment-based immigration
This role is not eligible for relocation assistance.
Williams-Sonoma, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Williams-Sonoma, Inc. will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, or other applicable state or local laws and ordinances.